Bookspeed is an imaginative, energetic and very customer-focused place to work. Everything we do is geared to our customers’ success because we can only thrive if they do.
We are a book wholesaler and toy and gift distributor. Our customers come in all shapes and sizes, from big multiple retailers to small owner-run businesses; from quirky gift shops to grand castles and country houses. Our mission is to make it easy for each of them to buy a range of products that is appropriate to their offer and that really contributes to the colour, style and themes of their store. But, most importantly, a range that sells!
We’ve been doing this for over 30 years and we’re good at it because we love doing it.
Bookspeed has experienced very significant growth over the last three financial years despite challenging conditions in the general retail trade. One of the key factors in this growth is the depth of skill and knowledge of our sales team. The Key Account Manager will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with, and achieving ongoing sales to our core customer base, and converting new leads into customers. You will thrive on exceeding their personal targets and contributing to the overall success of the Sales Team.
Building personal relationships with your customers, having appropriate regular contact and demonstrating Bookspeed’s unique skills and abilities in the market will be your primary focus. Developing the best appropriate bespoke range of products for each of your customers will ensure providing they receive a service that they cannot find anywhere else or achieve without working closely with us. This is critical for our continued growth.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Building and maintaining close and lasting relationships with our customers will be the foundation of your account management
- Working closely with your customers to gain a deep understanding of their business needs and retail direction
- Developing and presenting the best range of products possible
- Providing industry leading customer service
- Actively and pro-actively selling to ensure customers maximise their spend with Bookspeed
- As a Key Account Manager, you know that regular, appropriate contact with your customers, delivered at the right time, is the surest route to exceeding your sales target. You will work on creating and maintaining a call schedule of the frequency of contact that your customers require that will include, but not be limited to:
- Scheduled timings of reviews of existing ranges within the year
- Establishing the most appropriate timings of new titles submissions for each account
- Recording and working to peak periods of each customer’s year
- Devising retail plans for each season
- Recording, maintaining and updating each customer’s preferred method of contact and contact details
- Meeting and exceeding your sales targets are of critical importance. Working from your Contact Schedule, you will know in advance where your target turnover will be coming from, where to devote your time and you’ll be able to identify and raise areas of concern with your line manager in sufficient time to correct efforts or expectations.
- Working alongside a member of the senior team you will conduct and implement ongoing business reviews for your largest accounts. These will include:
- Identifying areas where we can increase our business with each customer and creating a 3/6/12 month plan to deliver this.
- Identifying areas of concern or danger with the account, eg unprofitable conditions or advances from competitors, and creating a 3/6/12 month plan to address this.
- Establishing the frequency of visits needed (where appropriate) and goals for these meetings.
- Working with the senior management team to ensure that discounts and profitability are within acceptable ranges.
- Noting and recording unique customer requirements and communicating them to the sales support team with appropriate training and explanation, ensuring that the sales support team are comfortable with the implementation of these.
- Reviewing payment issues and credit limits with the Credit Control Manager
- Working with the Business Development Director, you will be tasked with
- converting prospective leads into new customers
- approaching potential customers on a provided prospect list
- identifying the largest growth potential within your list of existing customers.
- Seek out new business by creating your own leads
The successful candidate will:
- Enjoy selling
- Have previous relevant B2B experience
- Be comfortable negotiating
- Be tenacious in their pursuit of sales whilst sensitive to their customers’ responses
- Be willing to work away at tradeshows and occasional customers visits
- Be able to demonstrate a good knowledge and understanding of all Microsoft Office applications, most specifically Excel, however training can be provided.
- Have a good phone manner and get on well with people
- Handle data under GDPR guidelines
- Be willing to undertake any other reasonable duties required by the company
This position reports directly to the Sales Operations Manager.
Your account mix will be varied ensuring you experience selling to a wide range of customers, amongst your customer base you will be responsible for looking after some of Bookspeed medium sized accounts who contribute significantly to both overall company sales and bottom line profit. You will often be expected to work with members of the senior management team to deliver on customer requirements and expectations.
As your day to day work will be focused on customer contact, ensuring the best service to all your customers, you will be supported by the sales support team who will carry out administrative tasks such as entering orders, issuing credits or dealing with missing deliveries etc for you.
You will have a monthly individual meeting with the Sales Operation Manager to discuss your performance against your personal target and your own Business Review Documents. This meeting will also be a space for both parties to raise any queries or concerns and discuss requirements for training that may be needed. You will have a yearly appraisal where your overall performance will be discussed and recorded, and a plan for progression towards your individual and professional goals updated and monitored. To ensure that progress is maintained throughout the year towards your professional goals, shorter quarterly catch-ups will be held to ensure progress towards these.
An eagerness to learn new skills, embrace change and enjoy success is essential.
Terms and Conditions
Bookspeed is an equal opportunities employer. Company Rules, Health and Safety information and a Contract of Employment are issued at the start of employment. Full-time staff receive 30 days holiday per year, pro-rata for part-time staff.
This position is full time, 37.5 hours per week. We operate Monday to Friday; from 9.00am to 5.00pm. Full-time staff have two paid breaks of 15 minutes each and an unpaid break of 30 minutes at lunch-time.
Between £24,000 and £30,000 DOE + Competitive sales related bonus
How to apply:
Please apply by email to Dean Rougvie, Sales Operations Manager with your CV and cover letter, describing your suitability for the role.
Closing date for this position is the 13th of September 2018, it is expected that interviews will be held shortly after this, an immediate start is available for the successful candidate.