Vacancy: Accounts Assistant
Bookspeed is an imaginative, energetic and very customer-focused place to work. Everything we do is geared to our customers’ success because we can only thrive if they do. We are a book wholesaler, our customers come in all shapes and sizes, from big multiple retailers to small owner-run businesses; from quirky gift shops to grand castles and country houses. Our mission is to make it easy for each of them to buy a range of products that is appropriate to their offer and that really contributes to the colour, style and themes of their store. But, most importantly, a range that sells! We’ve been doing this for 30 years and we’re good at it because we love doing it.
Bookspeed has a full-time, temporary vacancy for an energetic, imaginative individual with bookkeeping experience to assist in the running of our small but very busy accounts team. We use Microsoft Dynamics NAV for all functions of the business and experience of this or a similar system would be an advantage. Full training will be given.
You will be working alongside a full-time team of 3 assisting them in their work which includes;
- Purchase ledger
- Matching purchase invoices to incoming shipments
- Raising credit claims to suppliers for Shortages, Discount errors, Damages, VAT errors
- Establish good relations with claims departments at suppliers
- Establish claim templates so that the process is consistent and clear
- Chase outstanding claims
- Demonstrate good grasp of how VAT works
- Be able to understand the pricing structure of the business
- Reconcile supplier statements
- Set up new suppliers on our system
- Sales ledger
- Post and process customer payments
- Chase outstanding debtors
- Matching up unallocated payments
- Set up new customers on our system
- General Filing (there’s always some!)
The successful applicant will:
- Be numerate
- Be able to demonstrate good knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles
- Be able to demonstrate a good knowledge and understanding of all Microsoft Office applications, most specifically Excel
- Have a good phone manner and get on well with people
- Be able to build positive, cooperative relationships with both suppliers and customers
- Be well organised. We generate a lot of small claims on our suppliers and it takes a good brain to stay on top of it!
- Be willing to undertake any other reasonable duties required by the company
Previous experience in a similar role would be an advantage. An eagerness to learn new skills, embrace change and enjoy success is essential.
Terms and Conditions
Bookspeed is an equal opportunities employer. Company Rules, Health and Safety information and a Contract of Employment are issued at the start of employment.
This position is for six months, 37.5 hours per week. We operate Monday to Friday; from 9.00am to 5.00pm. Full-time staff have two paid breaks of 15 minutes each and an unpaid break of 30 minutes at lunch-time. Overtime is sometimes available but cannot be guaranteed and is paid at time and half for any hours worked beyond 37.5 per week.
We are an accredited Living Wage employer. The Salary for this position is £18,530. Training and assessments will be carried out, as required.
How to Apply
In the first instance, please send your CV to Linda Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org), if selected for interview we may ask you to complete an Application Form in support of your application. It is anticipated that the successful candidates will start work as soon as possible.
Please note: we regret that only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Closing date for applications is Friday 11th January 2019.